Ridgecrest Advisors’ Client Perficient Acquires BioPharm Systems
St. Louis – April 1, 2014 – Ridgecrest Advisors announced today that its client, Perficient, Inc. (NASDAQ: PRFT), a leading information technology consulting firm serving Global 2000 and other large enterprise customers throughout North America, has acquired BioPharm Systems, Inc. (“BioPharm Systems”), a $15 million annual services revenue business and information technology consulting firm focused on the life sciences industry.
Perficient’s annualized revenues are now approaching $450 million, and the transaction is expected to be accretive to adjusted earnings per share immediately.
“We’re excited to add to our industry capabilities with the acquisition of a reputable and growing life sciences consulting firm,” said Jeffrey Davis, Perficient’s chief executive officer and president. “With the addition of BioPharm Systems, Perficient has strengthened our ability to create even more powerful management and IT consulting solutions for our healthcare and life sciences customers. Furthermore, BioPharm Systems brings impressive bill rates and margins, important intellectual property assets and a proven track record of growth, profitability and client satisfaction.”
“BioPharm Systems’ outstanding reputation and expertise within the life sciences industry further positions Perficient as a leading solution provider for healthcare and life sciences enterprises across North America,” said David Hastoglis, Perficient vice president of industry verticals. “Their comprehensive information management solutions and deep business consulting expertise enable companies to improve the productivity, safety and effectiveness of their clinical trials.”
The acquisition of BioPharm Systems:
- Expands Perficient’s industry vertical expertise with the addition of a dedicated life sciences vertical, deepening Perficient’s current clinical trial management, clinical data management and safety and pharmacovigilance solutions;
- Strengthens Perficient’s overall Oracle partnership and capabilities by bringing extensive experience in the implementation, integration, migration, and hosting of Oracle’s Health Sciences applications;
- Adds more than 50 consulting, technology, sales and support professionals; and
- Adds client relationships with leading life sciences enterprise customers including Bayer, CR Bard, Halozyme Therapeutics, Ikaria, Johnson & Johnson, Medtronic, Pfizer, St. Jude Medical, Stryker, and Sunovion, among others.
BioPharm Systems President and Chief Executive Officer Alex Sefanov joins Perficient in a key leadership role.
“Perficient is well known for its consulting expertise across many technology platforms and many industries,” said Sefanov. “We’re thrilled to join the Perficient team, combining our life sciences industry knowledge and experience to deliver high-value solutions to healthcare and life sciences organizations.”
The closing consideration paid in the transaction is approximately $17.6 million and includes approximately $11.4 million in cash and approximately $6.2 million worth of Perficient common stock (based on the average closing price of Perficient’s common stock on the NASDAQ Global Select Market for the 30 trading days immediately preceding the acquisition close per the terms of the acquisition agreements). This amount is subject to change based on net working capital adjustments determined in the months following the closing date.
Randy Grigg, managing partner of Ridgecrest Advisors, advised Perficient on the transaction in his capacity as a registered investment banking agent of M&A Securities Group, Inc. “BioPharm Systems brings to Perficient an exciting combination of outstanding industry domain expertise in the life sciences vertical as well as extensive experience in Oracle’s Health Sciences applications suite,” said Grigg.
Perficient is a leading information technology consulting firm serving Global 2000 and enterprise customers throughout North America. Perficient’s professionals serve clients from a network of offices across North America and three offshore locations, in Eastern Europe, India, and China. Perficient helps clients use Internet-based technologies to improve productivity and competitiveness, strengthen relationships with customers, suppliers and partners, and reduce information technology costs. Perficient, traded on the Nasdaq Global Select Market, is a member of the Russell 2000® index and the S&P SmallCap 600 index. Perficient is an award-winning “Premier Level” IBM business partner, a Microsoft National Systems Integrator and Gold Certified Partner, an Oracle Platinum Partner, a Gold Salesforce.com Cloud Alliance Partner, a TeamTIBCO partner, and an EMC Select Services Team Partner. For more information, please visit www.perficient.com.
About BioPharm Systems
BioPharm Systems is a global IT consulting and managed services provider that focuses on the life sciences industry. BioPharm Systems has extensive experience in the implementation, integration, migration, upgrade, and hosting of clinical trial management, drug safety and pharmacovigilance, clinical data management, electronic data capture, and healthcare systems. Founded in 1995 and headquartered in California, BioPharm Systems has offices in the United States and the United Kingdom.
About Ridgecrest Advisors
Ridgecrest Advisors is an investment banking and business consulting firm dedicated to helping technology consulting firms dramatically increase enterprise value. Ridgecrest Advisors helps clients in four core areas:
1. Buy-side M&A advisory: We help technology consulting clients increase enterprise value by successfully executing transactions which fortify, extend or transform their businesses. We have run three of the most active acquisition programs in the sector over the last 15 years and bring deep insight into full lifecycle M&A efforts.
2. Sell-side M&A advisory: We help technology consulting clients achieve premium valuations with attractive deal structures through a process that emphasizes speed and risk mitigation. Our deep industry expertise, expansive relationships with the buyer community and unmatched understanding of the perspectives of acquiring firms provide a unique ability to execute optimal transactions.
3. Business consulting: Our Enterprise Value Optimization program helps technology consulting clients improve relative performance visibility, increase profit margins and reduce business risk. With our extensive experience from evaluating hundreds of consultancies while running acquisition programs, we bring unique insight into key performance indicator benchmarks and best practices of highly profitable firms.
4. Private placements: Our ability to successfully raise capital allows our technology consulting clients to build value through funded strategic investment and reduce personal financial risk by realizing partial liquidity on their ownership positions. We have extensive relationships with private equity and debt financing providers who have experience and/or interest in the technology consulting sector.
All services involving securities are offered through M&A Securities Group, Inc. (“MAS”), member FINRA/SiPC; 4151 North Mulberry Drive, Suite 252; Kansas City, MO 64116; 816.888.7920. MAS and Ridgecrest are not affiliated entities.